Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Nursery" Cubby

As many of you know, Adam and I have decided to stay in our studio loft downtown Los Angeles for at least the next year or so. Before this last week, I was kind of in a state of "I don't know where we will put the baby" until my mom came down to help. With her creative genius we began work on a mini "nursery" for baby Julia. With help from Adam, we moved our food storage out of the largest cubby we could find....right by the refrigerator. Here's what the cubby looked like when we cleared it out: Notice it is a 4x4 concrete space...not a place you'd normally think, "Hey, let's put the baby to sleep in here!" But just wait...
So we thought first of how to cover some of the concrete walls for a softer look and to keep the dust from falling on baby. As you can see, I have hung some things on the concrete walls before with Command Strips and Hooks. (The red squares in the left side of the previous picture.) So we looked around town for some cute sheets or some type of material we could hook on the Command Hooks. But...after a very successful trip to Ross Dress For Less (always a good place to go when looking for some cheap decorating) we came across some foam playmats for kids. You know, the kind you hook together like a puzzle on the floor. Mom came running over to me after getting a cart and said, "We could stick these to the wall!!" And about the same time I had thought of at least making a soft floor for the crib to go on. (By crib I mean the Pack'n'Play my mother-in-law Vicki bought us the last time she was out to visit, which, by the way, happened to coordinate perfectly, colorwise, with the foam mats we found.) So we came home and went to work sticking the foam mats to the wall with some heavy duty double stick tape from Lowe's. Here I am going to work sticking the foam to the wall, you can also see the floor is covered already.
When we finally finished, it was too cute!! Of course that wasn't all we did. We found a random nail sticking out of the concrete above the cubby that my mom thought would be perfect to hang a mobile, paper lantern, or whatever we could find that was fitting for the space. So we set out to find something and lo and behold, at Joann's there were some paper lanterns that matched our color scheme perfectly! We made a mobile out of them and some ribbon which you'll see in the next picture of the finished product. You'll also notice that we covered those red squares that I had previously mentioned, with a material that better coordinated with our little nursery corner. Here's the final product!!
And a picture of me in it....not the most flattering of pictures but I have a cold and I'm 9 months pregnant...give me a break!
Oh and here's a close-up of our little mobile. There are two paper lanterns hanging from a vintage hanger and ribbon. Fun!
And just in case you didn't get an idea of how big my belly is right now, here's a nice side view from yesterday. Look at my poor puffy feet! Only 5 more days to go! (Hopefully)
Anyway, hope you enjoyed our concrete-to-"nursery" transformation!

Lauren~

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh my gosh, it turned out so cute! Love the colors. It's a perfect little cubby.

Em and Cam said...

I love it! From the first picture it was hard to see how it was going to work...it turned out fabulous! Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!

Lauren Posey said...

Only a few hours until Baby Julia needs to use the space. I can feel it. I love the paper lanterns!

CC said...

Ingenious! It is amazing to see what creative minds can master. Your nursery cubby is really adorable! I love it.