Okay folks, this may be a very long post but I hope you enjoy it! I'll start out with a few pictures from the day of my scuba certification. As I mentioned before, we did our open water dives out at Catalina island. This day was at a site called Eel Cove, really beautiful clear water.
Here's a picture of Catalina as we're arriving to it on the dive boat, Island Time:

And here is a picture of Eel Cove. There were other boats just anchored out there for whatever reason, I didn't see anyone else diving besides our classes.

And finally, this is my dive buddy, Charity, and I, between dives. She's a little surfer chic who got certified to dive for her honeymoon in Barbados and Jamaica!!

Okay...moving on to the next thing...(a lot has been going on in the last week!!)...Adam came to visit from Oklahoma! Since we're both recently into diving, we're obsessed with the water. One of the first things we did when he came was go down to Crystal Cove in Orange County. It's a beautiful State Park just north of Laguna Beach. He heard it was great for snorkeling so that's exactly what we did! I saw more in Crystal Cove than I ever saw out at Catalina including some more fish, a STINGRAY, and a LEOPARD SHARK!! So awesome and fun to chase around. When we're in the water with them, just watching, they treat us like we're one of them and just hang out! Here's a quick pic of part of the beach at Crystal Cove: the rocks are especially fun to snorkel around because all the sea creatures hide by them!

So I've been trying to figure out what furniture I needed for my loft and after talking extensively to Mom and Carolyn, we finally got it all sorted out. Adam and I took pretty much a whole day trip up to the Ikea in Burbank. We picked up a lot of really neat stuff and somehow managed to fit it into the rental car I have while my Subaru is being fixed. You won't believe how many things we stuffed into the PT Cruiser so here's a couple pictures to give you an idea of what a good job we did at fitting it all in!

That's Adam giving the thumbs up that we're ready to get on the road! And here's me, scrunched in the front seat.

Anyway, that's that for the trip to Ikea. My apartment looks better already with some furniture in it, now I just need to unpack some more boxes...yay!
So, back to snorkeling (hehe), Adam and I took the Catalina Express ferry out to Avalon, a little city on the island, so we could have a day of snorkeling around the island. We took the ferry at 6:15 AM to make sure we got out there in time to have a nice full day. The ride takes about an hour from Long Beach to Catalina so we got to catch up on some Olympic news. I don't have a tv so we haven't been watching the Olympics at all! Once we got to the Avalon we walked all around to see where the best place to rent a kayak from would be. We walked over to Desconso Beach and rented a two-person kayak for the day. We were kayaking from 9AM to 5PM! Okay so we weren't in the kayak the whole time, we stopped at probably five different places to snorkel. We had the best luck at great visibility in the morning but stilled enjoyed the afternoon. It was a long day, we took the 7:30PM ferry back to Long Beach and didn't get back to Los Angeles til after 9PM. We were pooped!
This is Adam and I in the morning in Avalon. Somehow they managed to get a casino out there on the island and that is the round building in the background. Desconso Beach is right around the corner from the casino.

This next one shows how much stuff we were lugging around the island on our quest to find a kayak. We looked like backpackers with all our snorkeling gear, food, dry clothes, etc.

This is the boardwalk leading around the casino to Desconso Beach:

While we were kayaking we came across an abandoned piece of diving equipment, a BCD. (stands for Boyancy Control Device, a vest you wear while scuba diving). It was half inflated and floating on top of the water. When we took it to shore, we found there were some creatures already living in it, one of which was a starfish! Here's Adam holding the starfish before we threw it back in the water, it was starting to cling to his hand. ewww

And lastly from Catalina, this is a picture I took of the island from the front of the kayak....beautiful!!

Okay the last thing I want to mention is mainly for Carolyn but maybe you will think it's cool too! As Adam and I were walking around Hollywood waiting for Tropic Thunder to start (hilarious movie by the way) we were looking at all the stars on the sidewalk. I came across this one for Vladmir Horowitz, a famous pianist! Who knew he would have his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?!

Oh yeah, we also saw the movie Pineapple Express last week. When we went to see Tropic Thunder, Rosie Perez (she was the lady cop in Pineapple Express) was standing in front of us in line at the concessions and watched Tropic Thunder in our theater. It was funny because we had just seen her in Pineapple Express. Okay, that's it, no more rambling from me, I promise. Hope you enjoyed the pictures!
Lauren~
No comments:
Post a Comment